SGCCRI has always embraced the latest techniques of Radiation Therapy as a part of Comprehensive Cancer Care. Modern Comprehensive Radiotherapy facilities of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) is the latest form of photon radiation therapy &,Image guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) are now available in the department as cutting-edge technology, accurate and precise delivery of radiation.
In a specially designed Radiotherapy wing by the side of a Lake, there are different Radiotherapy machines from Cobalt Therapies to the latest 3D CRT and Dual Energy Linear Accelarators. This Institute also brought the 1st High Definition computerized Brachytherapy for treatment of cancers of Cervix and Uterus.
- The Medical Oncology department comprises of the Modernized Centrally air-conditioned DAYCARE centre, Outpatient and Indoor admission facilities.
- The DAYCARE centre deals with patients who are discharged on the same day after completion of chemotherapy. The DAYCARE centre is equipped to perform emergency procedures like ascitic fluid and pleural fluid drainage. An average of 70 patients is seen daily, 6 days a week. The patient pool comprises of new patients, patients currently undergoing chemotherapy and patients on follow up. Medical Oncology team decides what chemotherapy is to be given, the schedule and the number of cycles. The line of management is decided by Multidisciplinary Tumour Board.
- Extending day care hours has made it possible to administer some very long and intense protocols (> 5 hours) on a single day. However the charges have been kept nominal. This has led to a greater availability of Indoor beds for surgical and emergency patients and is immensely saving time of the attendants and caregivers who accompany the patients for chemotherapy.
- Overall the comfort level of the patients has definitely improved. It is now a centrally air-conditioned unit with overhead Televisions & soft relaxing music running in the background. Recently a small library has been installed within the day-care centre to keep patients engaged during chemotherapy. Books on improving patient awareness and care during treatment of cancer, written in very simple language are readily available.
- Thanks to the free counseling offered by Group called “Hitaishini” for breast cancer affected patients. There are numerous breast cancer survivors who have health-related issues. All these are addressed by Hitaishini, The Dept of Psychology offers counseling for patients of all categories. The anxieties related to adverse effects of chemotherapy are effectively dealt with. This really has boosted the spirit and determination of patients.
- Regular dietary counseling for patients on chemotherapy has been initiated. Nutrition is an important part of treatment which oncologists tend to ignore. Additional nutritional advice has definitely improved the body weight and physical well being of some of the patients.
- The Medical Oncology dept works in a very coordinated fashion with the Dept of Pain & Palliative Care for quick symptom relief even if the patients are in early stage.
- Hand-held printouts depicting the DO’s and DONT’s for patients undergoing chemotherapy are being distributed to every single patient from the Day Care. This has taken care of most of the queries from patients and caregivers.
- Every single patient undergoing chemotherapy is provided with emergency helpline numbers to resolve issues pertaining to chemotherapy. This saves time and travelling.
- he department designs protocols for adult patients having solid tumours and a few pediatric patients with refractory non-hematological malignancies.
- Periodically the department has been involved in “Train the Sisters” program. The sisters are taught basics of anticancer drugs, how to improve chemotherapy administering skills and combat spillage of toxic drugs.
- Apart from chemotherapy – Biologics, targeted agents and iron infusion are also being given from the DAYCARE facility.
- Use of chemoport devices. This device is mainly used for patients who need long infusions and long term chemotherapy.
- Once monthly departmental meetings are conducted to improve quality of service and better evidence based management. Case based discussions and short Oncology presentations are carried out every month.
- The department has access to continuous supply of latest edition of Peer Reviewed Journals. Common journals being Annals of Oncology, Lancet and Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Biosafety Cabinet: ensures mixing and preparation of chemotherapeutic agents in a safe and sterile environment.
- Compartmentalization of the Day Care area: Consultation area and drug administration area are separated with a glass partition ensuring constant monitoring of patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Specialized automatized and adjustable couches for easier administration of chemotherapy are going to be installed. These couches save space and facilitate higher number of procedures.
- Updated AJCC staging charts and chemotherapy manuals are available.
- The department has been involved in high quality clinical research work which has received recognition in the form of acceptance for oral presentation national symposiums.
- The latest addition in treatment of cancer care – “Immunotherapy” has been recently initiated. Immunotherapy is the future of cancer chemotherapy.
It is the only centre in Eastern India which provides Radio-Iodine therapy for treatment of Thyroid cancers.
The new state of the art OT complex consists of 5 advanced Operation Theatres and an annexed 8‐bedded ITU. The Surgical Oncology Department is equipped with ultra‐modern gadgets like Operating microscope, CUSA, Harmonic Scalpel, Ligasure, Intra‐operative Ultrasonography, Radio Frequency Ablation and Tissue Link. We regularly perform a number of Complex Surgeries, such liver, pancreas, esophagus, and other advanced oncologic surgeries.
With the procurement of technologies like the operating microscope and the oscillating saw, the number of reconstructive and endolaryngoscopic procedures have got a boost. Our surgeons have been trained in reputed centres in India and abroad and the outcomes of such surgeries are encouraging.
With the full set up for advanced Liver surgery including CUSA, Harmonic Scalpel, Intra‐operative Ultrasonography, Radio Frequency Ablation and Tissue Link, Liver surgery has become much easier and is routinely performed with good results.
Laparoscopic surgeries are now done for GI, Urology and Gynaecological cases, enabling patients a quick, painless recovery.
With the regular use of LASER surgery, especially for early cancers of Head & Neck region, patients are able to avail of a new modality of surgical service.
Radio Frequency Ablation is performed for inoperable Liver and Lung cancers.
Radiation oncology department is equipped with various state of the art machines such as:
- Two Telecobalt units (Theratron Elite 80 and Panacea Bhabhatron II)
- Two linear accelerator units (Siemens Primus 6X- 3D CRT) and Varian Unique Performance 6X (3D CRT, IMRT, IGRT, Rapid Arc)
- One remote after loading Ir-192 HDR Brachytherapy unit (Microselectron HDR) – Elekta
- 3D-Treatment planning systems
- Eclipse V13.7 – EBRT-6MV Photon -commissioned for Varian Unique
- 3D Conformal Radiotherapy (3D CRT)
- Dynamic Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (Dy-IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiotherapy (MV-IGRT)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc-therapy – VMAT (RapidArc)
- Oncentra V4.5 –EBRT- Only commissioned for Siemens Primus
- 3D Conformal Radiotherapy (3D CRT)
- Palliative RT
- Conventional RT
- Oncentra V4.6 – 3D Image Based – HDR Brachytherapy
- CT Image based 3D ICRT(Intracavitary)
- CT Image based Vaginal Cylinder
- CT Image based ILRT (Intraluminal)
- CT Image based 3D ISBT (Interstitial Brachytherapy)
- Eclipse V13.7 – EBRT-6MV Photon -commissioned for Varian Unique
- Machine QA & Patient Specific QA Dosimetric Equipements – PTW, Germany
- 0.6cc Thimble/Farmer type Ionization Chamber – 2nos
- 0.05cc PPC, Markus Ionization Chamber – 1no
- Well type Ionization Chamber – 1no
- Unidose E – Elecktrometer – 2nos
- 3D RFA with 0.125cc solid State Chambers for Beam Parameter Measurements
- TPR20/10 Daily QA phantom
- Quickcheck Daily QA Device
- 2D LDA with Octavius 4D Phantom for Patient Specific QA of IMRT & Rapid Arc
- EPID Dosimetry for Patient Specific QA of IMRT & RapidArc
- Water Phantom for absolute dose measurements
- One conventional treatment simulator – Panacea – Conventional Simulation
Patients Simulated during April 2018 to March 2019 is 151 (Apr-34, May-20, June-21, July-15, Aug-13, Sep-13, Oct-05, Nov-07, Dec 02, Jan-01, Feb-03, Mar-17)
- CT Simulator – Diagnostic CT (Siemens-Somatom) machine is used for Simulating all advanced treatment techniques.
Of these machines, the Varian Unique Linear Accelerator is the latest which was installed on 5th December 2016. This machine can deliver radiation using the latest available techniques like IMRT, MV-IGRT & Rapid Arc conformal methods. With these sophisticated radiations modalities, our centre is now at par with any other modern Radiation Oncology Centre in India.
- Gamma Irradiation Chamber with Cs-137 source (3049 Ci on 2nd June 2018) is installed by BRIT (11th July 2019) and commissioned for Blood component Irradiation.
- Moving LAP Laser has been installed and used for patient alignment during CT Simulation.
- We are a recognized DNB (Radiotherapy) teaching centre. This year three of our students Dr.Rupesh Reddy, Dr.Vishnu Reddy,and Dr. Sanchayan Mandal have cleared DNB final (theory & practical) examination . We run a 2 year diploma curse for Radiotherapy technicians (DRT course) under the supervision of WB State Medical Faculty
- Doctors and Medical physicists regularly present their activities in different scientific forums. Scientific papers & reports were already published or under review (for publication in near future) for publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Our medical physics unit is recognized by BARC & AERB (Atomic Energy Regulatory Board) for one year internship program for newly graduated medical physicists.
- We upgraded our Brachytherapy Treatment planning system from version 4.3 to 4.5.3
- We started CT based 3 Dimensional Treatment Planning of Intracavitary Brachytherapy for cervical cancer patients.
- We provide three months training programme for the M.Sc & B.Sc students of Medical physics ( Gano University, Bangladesh & Anna University, Tamil Nadu).
- We provide one/three months training program for the B.Sc students of Radiotherapy Technology (Tripura Institute of Para Medical Science).
- Our department is attached with an International Trial Collaboration with University College of London Hospital (UCLH) & Cancer Research UK (CRUK). The title of the Interlace trial is “ A phase 111 multicenter trial of weekly induction chemotherapy followed by standard chemoradiation versus standard chemoradiation alone in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer”
The activities in the Endoscopy department are increasing each year. The numbers of cases and the types of procedures have significantly increased over the past few years. We are now routinely performing diagnostic and therapeutic Upper GI Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Bronchoscopy, Fibre‐optic Laryngoscopy, Nasal Endoscopy and ERCP. The therapeutic procedures include biliary, esophageal, pyloro‐duodenal and colonic stenting, dilatation, polypectomies, PEG etc.
The latest protocols are followed for all kinds of cancer in both adults and children. Chemotherapy is administered by trained team of doctors and nurses both as in-patients and also newly revamped AC Day Care ward with channel Music. Oral Chemotherapies and targeted therapies are also prescribed as per International protocols.
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (BMT):
The State of the Art 4 bedded Bone marrow transplant Unit is functional since August 2012, being inaugurated by Dada Saheb Phalkde Award winner Sri Soumitra Chattopadhyay. Till date a total of 60 cases of Autologous Transplant have been done in this unit ( Multiple Myeloma – 49, Relapsed NHL – 4, Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia – 1, Relapsed HL – 5 and Plasma Cell Leukemia – 1).
Majority of Multiple Myeloma patients are doing very well and are found to be in complete remission at the last follow up. It is also important to note that, the BMT unit has been well utilized for isolation and barrier nursing for the management of high risk patients like AML and Aplastic anemia. There are many more patients lined up for Autologous Transplantation to be done early next year.
A special Blood Irrradiator is also available (courtesy: DAE).
Allogenic Transplant is in the pipeline.
Apart from the standard modalities of cancer treatment, support groups are giving free services for Breast cancer, Stoma care, Speech therapy, Psychiatric counseling, Pain management etc.